Friday, March 16, 2007

"Always make new mistakes" Esther Dyson

In order to tell this story, I need to give you a little bit of background. As a child of about 6 or so I distinctly recall seeing the damage inflicted by a accidentially stapled thumbnail of another child. And being the sardonic child that I was, I had no sympathy for him, I just remember thinking what kind of idiot staples his thumb? I ranked it right up there with other stupid things, like putting a finger in the pencil sharpener, or sticking your tongue in a light socket. Things that, since you can IMAGINE the result and the consequences you don't need to do them. (side bar: is it me or is it usually boys who do this kind of stuff? but that is whole other topic).

So the other day Ian had brought home a bunch of stuff from work, junk that was just rattling around in his tool box, to sort through. I looked over the stuff and innocently picked up a tiny stapler. I commented that it was cute but broken, the top half (cover and staple holder) no longer locked together. and as I tried to force to two parts together, a sharp pain issued from my hand. in that split second I thought, oh I did NOT just staple my thumb! I looked down and sure enough a staple was half buried in the pad of my thumb. I pulled it out and instead of the usual curse or ouch, I immediately started to laugh. Needless to say Ian was very confused till I caught my breath and explained, that a perfect record of not stapling my body had come to a screeching halt. Now we know what kind of idiot staples her thumb....one who just got a 26 year old payback

2 days later the darn thing is still a bit sore.

1 comment:

Anna van Schurman said...

That is the same kind of thing I did when I was a kid; I still find it hard to feel sympathetic when people do silly things. I did laugh with you, though!