Friday, November 18, 2005

Harry Potter and the afterlife

So yesterday at midnight Ian and I went to see HP:GOF (Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire). I was so excited about this one for several reasons. It is my favorite of all 6 books (so far), and the original actors (Harry, Ron, and Hermione) are still in it (after rumors of replacement ...Not that I would blame them, I just feel they have really encompassed there roles very very well.) The previews looked awesome, and indeed I was not disappointed. The huge book was translated into the script of the movie in a way that cut out the fat and showed the main storyline with out making it feel like you were missing anything from the book. The humor was well balanced with the darkness, the adolescent teenage agst was shown but not dwelled upon, and the acting has only gotten better...Even the actors who had much smaller roles here than in the previous 3 movies. The only confusion or jarring moments were that Filch (I think it was him) was younger. and Dumbledore seemed overreactive sometimes and much more animated that before...moving like a man 20 years younger than he was in the past 3 films.

On the message board I hang out at there are those who were surprised and upset at how the movie/storyline has become dark and that there is a (gasp!) death in this movie. (I guess they didn't read the book). These parents are so worried about their children seeing death... (If I were them I would be more worried about Lord Voldemort..now he would of kept me up at nights as a child...but then again so did the Grinch...yes that Grinch). Hello this is a modern day fairy tale, you know, like the old ones where witches and wolves eat children and death is permanent...not a Disney honey coated version.
Death is not something to be afraid of, it is the opposite of birth. Why do we celebrate one and not the other ...I think people confuse birth and death with good and evil....true they are opposites but not synonyms. Birth is where we enter this life stage on earth and death is when we leave, like 2 doors in a room, I am betting there is another room we go into. And I honestly believe there are a few (very few) who can see that next room. I just read a book called The Eagle and the Rose by Rosemary Altea. She is a medium and it is her story about discovering this gift. I personally don't have this gift, but as John Edward says (the medium not the senator) we can all see the subtle signs from the others who have crossed to the next life stage. I know in my heart that my grandmother has shown me her presence at least twice, and I think that the original owner of our house checks up on us now and again. No there isn't any banging or flying books....these are peaceful signs..... smells, ideas, objects, etc. The Jehovah Witnesses come around every week trying to sell me religion, and in their Book of Knowledge I found out that they belive in no afterlife....at least not till Armageddon. When you are dead, you are dead....and until God creates peace on earth (then you get to come back), you are really dust to dust. This really feels completely wrong to me.


Oh look at me going on about controversial stuff that should be on another blog...sorry...I'll try to get back into cross stitching, I have been working on Peace tree ornament this week, and not much else....

Stitching Bloggers question of the week:
How do you feel about staying totally true to a pattern? Do you feel that you have to rip out stitches to fix a mistake or do you feel it's acceptable to incorporate a mistake into the design?

I think one only has to go to my last post to see my last huge mistake. Often a small mistake, a stitch or two I will incorporate into the design. and in saying that I don't think I have ever done a "perfect" project. I feel however that these little changes wether on purpose or not are part of the artists liberty when stitching. (at least that is what i tell myself so I don't panic)

No comments: