Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Sucked in by a book

So instead of stitching, cleaning, packing, shipping, preparing etc. Yesterday I was sucked in by a book. The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory. I came home fully prepared to cook, clean, and do all the things that I need to do in the next 5 days, and instead I read straight from 5pm till 1am. This is not abnormal for me, just abnormal for me lately. I used to read straight through large volumes when I was in jr high and high school, it was a struggle for me to put down stephen king so I could do homework. I kept track of all the books I read and usually averaged about 30-35 a year. I get sucked into books in a way which is not possible with TV or movies, and so I knew I had to swear off the novels while I was in Graduate school or my thesis would of never gotten done. Now that the grading is done and the final I am giving is copied and ready for judgement day tomorrow, I guess I just gave in to the reading monster.

Anyway, the Queens Fool was not the best book ever but it was pretty darn good. A bit more far reaching than most historical novels, this has a fully contrived character that we follow in the tudor court of (mostly) Queen Mary. I have loved the whole Tudor story and Elizabethian england since I was a young girl. I love to read historical novels of the time. I mentioned to my advisor this summer that I loved these types of book and she lent me two, The Virgin Queen by Maureen Peters, a facinating version of the relationship between Elizabeth and Thomas Seymour, and The Last Boleyn by Karen Peters which I had mistaken for The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory both are about Mary Boleyn, sister to Anne, mistress to the king. I will be interested to see how The Other Boleyn Girl compares to The Last Boleyn which overall whas written a bit better than the Queen's Fool, but then again maybe I just like my character exploration to stick closer to the known facts of history.

1 comment:

Lee said...

I was immediately sucked into The Other Boleyn Girl last year. I'm going to look at some of the other books you've just listed.

There's something about December and January that makes me yearn for escape! Must be the lovely SWPA climate....